i am a fashion designer. gee
     
click here to maximize your minimalism!

click here

click here

click here

click here to view my favorites from the archives. gee

 

 

 

are you a fonts enthusiast? a typophile?
read more

find the beauty on your daily walk! take time to notice the details of your landscape.
read more

there is nothing like seeing a great handbag in action.
read more

plastics are our future. how can you resist plastic? it is so shiny and pleasing. I have a penchant for plastics.
read more

chronicling my quest for the one true
Greek Cup
read more

have you ever noticed the similarity between nyc fire call boxes and benevolent Kannon, goddess of mercy?
read more

every design, fashion and art magazine I read lately features some important directional artist making big contributions to their genre. and where do they live? brooklyn!
read more

who says there are no more 'new ideas' in art and design? the newness is in the juxtaposition.
read more

this is how I really get things done. with my little green co-worker/task-master.
read more

my clothing & accessories design
east-meets-west minimalism

my site
elaineperlov.com

the look
dressy utilitarian

my concept
useful, economical, modular pieces that can be mix-matched in numerous ways (because why can't fashion be useful and lasting? I think it can!) So I say Maximize your Minimalism!

Satin Karate Belt featured in Dec 06 Real Simple

Voted Best Designer 2006 Style Bakery
'On the Rise'
Awards

Daily Buss Feature

Luckymag.com Feature

in the blog press
midtown lunch
brownstoner
racked
coutorture
the girl who ate everything
coutorture
queens eats
(into) the fray
stylefinds
funky finds
style document
stylefinds
gowanus lounge
far too cute
modish
ethereal bliss
couture in the city
independent luxe
decor 8
funky finds
urban socialite
lady licorice
high fashion girl

more press...

inspiration
furniture (especially chairs from the 50s and 60s), uniforms, repeating patterns, menswear, Oscar Niemeyer, traditional Japanese architecture, the Rimpa School and Ogata Korin's 8-Point Bridge, Matisse, bromeliads, succulents and other waxy flora

particular loves
bamboo, coral, moss, woodgrain, silhouettes & other cut-outs, plastic, low-resolution images, the photo copier, off-registration prints, Max Ernst's Lunar Asparagus, NYC fire call boxes that look like Kannon, Fauvist color sense, the Noguchi Museum, pretty much all of Abstract Expressionism

magazines of current interest
Domino, Elle Decor (British), ARTnews, Art in America, Wallpaper

favorite heel style
the wedge, but a sleek modern interpretation

second favorite
the stiletto

current shoe obsession
alas, the sneaker. (because I live in nyc and walk a ton!) but not too sneakery of a sneaker. more of a sneaker disguised as a shoe, like a mary jane style or a high-tech looking black one with a metallic accent. how about Royal Elastics? I must go try some on. I really like the non-sneakeryness of their styles.

 

 

 


2.22.2006

while i'm on the topic...

I am thinking a lot about dinner parties and table designs lately. I want to make a chocolate brown linen tablecloth to go with my new green candlestick and a few other accessories. I like to layer at the table, combining placemats and tablecloths and coasters in various combos. Butcher paper makes a good layer too. It is so bistro-chic, and it is disposable. You can use white or brown depending on your color palette. And then there are all the great paper napkin designs there are to choose from, especially those at IKEA. I have a bit of a cocktail napkin collecting problem actually. This is just some of my collection...

For Spring I like to show some bare table and use a combination of smaller table linens, runners and sheer placemats. I know it sounds weirdly like clothing design, but hey, I am a fashion designer after all.

So anyway, my suggestions for a striking table are the same as for a stand-out personal style: choose modular versatile pieces and layer layer layer. You can create a unique table and a unique you. It's all in the mix! And it is so much fun to keep changing up the elements when you are wanting a little something new and fabulous. And it doesn't have to cost a lot.

Below are some are table linens I made (like the white and grey runner and the green striped coasters); some are single napkins I purchased (from fancy design stores like Bliss and Lekker in Boston) and pressed flat; one is a bamboo window shade I cut to size for a table mat. For a sushi party one Spring I grew small pots of grass to complement the bamboo mat and arranged votives in soy sauce dishes.



Labels: , , ,

:::

1 Comments:

Blogger Shana said...

Cute cute cute cute CUTE! I wish I liked doing stuff like this, but alas, I don't. So it's a good thing I have a friend -- you -- who DOES!

Instead of these sorts of adorable things, I will group all sorts of words together and make picture perfect sentences!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home