i am a fashion designer. gee
     
click here to maximize your minimalism!

click here

click here

click here

click here to view my favorites from the archives. gee

 

 

 

are you a fonts enthusiast? a typophile?
read more

find the beauty on your daily walk! take time to notice the details of your landscape.
read more

there is nothing like seeing a great handbag in action.
read more

plastics are our future. how can you resist plastic? it is so shiny and pleasing. I have a penchant for plastics.
read more

chronicling my quest for the one true
Greek Cup
read more

have you ever noticed the similarity between nyc fire call boxes and benevolent Kannon, goddess of mercy?
read more

every design, fashion and art magazine I read lately features some important directional artist making big contributions to their genre. and where do they live? brooklyn!
read more

who says there are no more 'new ideas' in art and design? the newness is in the juxtaposition.
read more

this is how I really get things done. with my little green co-worker/task-master.
read more

my clothing & accessories design
east-meets-west minimalism

my site
elaineperlov.com

the look
dressy utilitarian

my concept
useful, economical, modular pieces that can be mix-matched in numerous ways (because why can't fashion be useful and lasting? I think it can!) So I say Maximize your Minimalism!

Satin Karate Belt featured in Dec 06 Real Simple

Voted Best Designer 2006 Style Bakery
'On the Rise'
Awards

Daily Buss Feature

Luckymag.com Feature

in the blog press
midtown lunch
brownstoner
racked
coutorture
the girl who ate everything
coutorture
queens eats
(into) the fray
stylefinds
funky finds
style document
stylefinds
gowanus lounge
far too cute
modish
ethereal bliss
couture in the city
independent luxe
decor 8
funky finds
urban socialite
lady licorice
high fashion girl

more press...

inspiration
furniture (especially chairs from the 50s and 60s), uniforms, repeating patterns, menswear, Oscar Niemeyer, traditional Japanese architecture, the Rimpa School and Ogata Korin's 8-Point Bridge, Matisse, bromeliads, succulents and other waxy flora

particular loves
bamboo, coral, moss, woodgrain, silhouettes & other cut-outs, plastic, low-resolution images, the photo copier, off-registration prints, Max Ernst's Lunar Asparagus, NYC fire call boxes that look like Kannon, Fauvist color sense, the Noguchi Museum, pretty much all of Abstract Expressionism

magazines of current interest
Domino, Elle Decor (British), ARTnews, Art in America, Wallpaper

favorite heel style
the wedge, but a sleek modern interpretation

second favorite
the stiletto

current shoe obsession
alas, the sneaker. (because I live in nyc and walk a ton!) but not too sneakery of a sneaker. more of a sneaker disguised as a shoe, like a mary jane style or a high-tech looking black one with a metallic accent. how about Royal Elastics? I must go try some on. I really like the non-sneakeryness of their styles.

 

 

 


4.25.2007

shopping on franklin: dalaga


Dalaga means 'quintessential woman in her prime' in Tagalog.
A view of the store in the afternoon sunlight.


Some skinny belts displayed on the Victorian armoire.


Spring Trend: Print & Pattern
Michelle will focus on circle prints and Mod looks.
I love the alcove and hanging photos in the dressing rooms.


One of Michelle's trend picks for Spring: sexy platforms!
New deliveries are expected throughout the season.



Dalaga opened its doors just 10 months ago, but there is already talk of expanding the boutique, devoted to designer women's and men's clothing, shoes and accessories. "The store gets really crowded on the weekends now with lines for the dressing rooms. We had to start a sign-in sheet so people can keep shopping comfortably," says owner/designer Michelle Mangiliman. Michelle always has an eye on her customers' needs, and has a talent for creating a warm and inviting shopping environment. This coming Saturday for example, all are invited to join Michelle at the store for cupcakes, cocktails and discounts as part of a 5-day birthday sale she is running, beginning today! I'll be there.

I was happy to hear that
Dalaga's following just keeps growing and growing. I consider Dalaga to be the trailblazer of the new Franklin Street, ushering in what I believe will be many more small creative retail projects in the coming future. The instant success of Dalaga on a street with sparse foot traffic seems to prove the adage, "If you build it, they will come." I sat down with Michelle to talk about how Dalaga came to be and about her vision for Spring/Summer 07.


EP: Talk about your design philosophy and your concept for the store.
MM: My ideas about clothing are changing all the time, so when it comes to designing or buying for the store, it's all about filling the need. I feel like the store is
an extension of my own closet. The decor concept for the store is 'boudoir meets mysterious interior garden,' a private space where you can feel free and comfortable to reinvent yourself. [Note: the store fixtures are part of a Victorian bedroom set, which includes armoire, end tables, dresser and headboard which are adorned with silk flowers.]

EP: Tell us about the name, Dalaga, and what you carry.
MM:
Dalaga means 'quintessential woman in her prime' in Tagalog. We currently carry 3/4 women's and 1/4 men's. Clothing, denim, shoes, belts, jewelry, bags. We're always looking for Greenpoint designers. People really get into the fact that the person who made this lives in the neighborhood. In the beginning we also carried designers from the Philippines which sold really well. We are working on sourcing more. And of course we carry the Dalaga label which I design.

EP: Tell us more about your design background.
MM: I started sewing at 10, took a Fashion Marketing program in high school and designed my first collection. I attended the San Francisco Academy of Art
with a major in Fashion Design. In San Francisco, I was lucky to fall in with a collaborative underground boutique where I developed and produced my designs and showed them at a local club. I followed my [now fiance] to New York and worked as a freelance designer for a missy/juniors start-up for a year. After that I continued to pursue my own label [Dalaga] and tried to find partners. In the meantime, I held sample sales once a month in a warehouse on Green Street [in Greenpoint], which I promoted on Craig's List. I have always thought about having a store, but thought of it as five years down the road. Then one day, much sooner than expected, the time and place were right.

EP: How long have you lived in New York?
MM: Three years, all in Greenpoint. July will be the one-year anniversary of the
store.

EP: Name the hottest 3 designers you carry.
MM: CASTE by Micah Cohen out of L.A. He does menswear. DALAGA. MADE IN HEAVEN which is a line of high-rise skinny jeans, recently revived by the daughter of the label's original spokesmodel.

EP: What are the trends you will capitalize on for Spring/Summer?
MM: Cute, sexy platform shoes that are walker-friendly and wearable. Primary color dresses in bold yellow, blue, and red, with a very mod look. Circle prints. And we'll continue the prairy, lacey, eyelet-y looks that we always have going on in the store.

Thank you so much Michelle! As I finish writing up this interview, I am eager to get back to your store and see what's new. Happy Birthday! See you on Saturday for cupcakes, but I think I'll pop in today for a sneak peak.
Dalaga
150 Franklin Street
Greenpoint, Brooklyn 11222
877.287.8395
G to Greenpoint Ave
DALAGA is the first store portrait in our new "Shopping on Franklin" special feature. Watch for a new store portrait next Thursday.


Two of my favorite details in the store: the Victorian tin ceilings
and the elaborate carving above the register
[actually an upside-down headboard-- part of a Victorian bedroom set
which serve as the store fixtures. So clever!]


Fun prints, fun shapes for Spring/Summer 07


Some of the shoe selection at Dalaga. There are many more great bags too.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

:::

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought a bag in there the other day, as it turns out the bag only lasted a few hours until i came along.

Her shop has such reasonably priced pieces and the design is lovely. thanks for the interview!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home