click here to maximize your minimalism!
click here to view my favorites from the archives. gee
are you a fonts enthusiast? a typophile?
find the beauty on your daily walk! take time to notice the details of your landscape.
there is nothing like seeing a great handbag in action.
plastics are our future. how can you resist plastic? it is so shiny and pleasing. I have a penchant for plastics.
chronicling my quest for the one true
have you ever noticed the similarity between nyc fire call boxes and benevolent Kannon, goddess of mercy?
every design, fashion and art magazine I read lately features some important directional artist making big contributions to their genre. and where do they live? brooklyn!
who says there are no more 'new ideas' in art and design? the newness is in the juxtaposition.
this is how I really get things done. with my little green co-worker/task-master.
clothing & accessories design
useful, economical, modular pieces that can be mix-matched in numerous
ways (because why can't fashion be useful and lasting? I think
it can!) So I say Maximize your Minimalism!
Satin Karate Belt featured in Dec 06 Real Simple
Voted Best Designer 2006 Style Bakery
'On the Rise'
Daily Buss Feature
in the blog press
the girl who ate everything
(into) the fray
far too cute
couture in the city
high fashion girl
furniture (especially chairs from the 50s and 60s), uniforms, repeating patterns, menswear, Oscar Niemeyer,
traditional Japanese architecture, the Rimpa School and Ogata Korin's 8-Point Bridge, Matisse, bromeliads,
succulents and other waxy flora
bamboo, coral, moss, woodgrain, silhouettes & other cut-outs, plastic,
low-resolution images, the photo copier, off-registration prints, Max
Ernst's Lunar Asparagus, NYC fire call boxes that look like Kannon, Fauvist color sense, the Noguchi Museum,
pretty much all of Abstract Expressionism
magazines of current
Domino, Elle Decor (British), ARTnews, Art in America, Wallpaper
favorite heel style
the wedge, but a sleek modern interpretation
current shoe obsession
alas, the sneaker. (because I live in nyc and walk a ton!) but not too
sneakery of a sneaker. more of a sneaker disguised as a shoe, like a mary
jane style or a high-tech looking black one with a metallic accent. how
about Royal Elastics? I must go try some on. I really like the non-sneakeryness
of their styles.
Players list 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, players then tag 8 people by posting their names and make sure they know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment at the tagee’s blog.
So here goes . . . (everyone writes the 'so here goes...' so I did too.)
1. I have a thing for repetition. I eat peanut butter toast for breakfast and would wear the same thing everyday, if I could. There is discovery in repetition. There is newness in sameness.2. On the other hand, I don't much like sameness. In the end, I love seeking out new things constantly. I always thrust myself into new situations just to see how I will do. I have found that I have many skills.
3. I have only been camping once in my life, and once was more than enough. No thanks on the camping. You can't wear nice outfits and nice shoes. What is the fun in that.
4. On nature: I love nature if it is in close proximity to, or preferably contained in, a dense active urban area with lots of shopping and opportunities to people-watch and drink iced coffee and eat biscotti at outdoor cafes. In the end, I prefer 'Nature in Microcosm' to actual wooly, wild nature. (Please see Nature in Microcosm or My Mini Lawn for further evidence.)
5. I use paper towels with gay abandon.
6. I am not much for dogs, but I don't mind cats. If I had a cat, I would name him Chairman Meow.
7. When we moved to Greenpoint, I thought it was the land of milk and honey, only the milk was pierogies and the honey was pickles. Pure Heaven.
8. When I let my mind wander while riding the subway or walking along, a lot of perfect cat names come to my mind. I don't know why. I don't have a cat. So I give these names to you. If you have a pair of cats, you could rename them 'Cat Stevens' and 'Kitty Carlisle.' How about 'Cat the Great'? That would be a good one. An 'enlightened despot' cat. Or 'Cat of Aragon.' Or 'Cat Deneuve.' Anyway I don't know why 2 out of my 8 Facts are about cat names. I did not plan that.
*9. Bonus fact about me: I cut my own hair in between haircuts, and always try to hide it from my haircutter, but she always finds out, because I always confess at the end of the cut. As if I could ever fool her. Psst. I just trimmed my bangs with my thread scissors. Just now.
Tag! You're It:
Jodi @ The Jodiverse
Kyria @ Kyria Abrahams
Jon @ Happy Mundane
Holly @ Decor8
'Poppy' @ Poppytalk
Susan @ Sulu-Design
Jessica @ Shiny Squirrel
Danielle @ Final Fashion
Labels: blogging, nature in microcosm