i am a fashion designer. gee
     
click here to maximize your minimalism!

click here

click here

click here

click here to view my favorites from the archives. gee

 

 

 

are you a fonts enthusiast? a typophile?
read more

find the beauty on your daily walk! take time to notice the details of your landscape.
read more

there is nothing like seeing a great handbag in action.
read more

plastics are our future. how can you resist plastic? it is so shiny and pleasing. I have a penchant for plastics.
read more

chronicling my quest for the one true
Greek Cup
read more

have you ever noticed the similarity between nyc fire call boxes and benevolent Kannon, goddess of mercy?
read more

every design, fashion and art magazine I read lately features some important directional artist making big contributions to their genre. and where do they live? brooklyn!
read more

who says there are no more 'new ideas' in art and design? the newness is in the juxtaposition.
read more

this is how I really get things done. with my little green co-worker/task-master.
read more

my clothing & accessories design
east-meets-west minimalism

my site
elaineperlov.com

the look
dressy utilitarian

my concept
useful, economical, modular pieces that can be mix-matched in numerous ways (because why can't fashion be useful and lasting? I think it can!) So I say Maximize your Minimalism!

Satin Karate Belt featured in Dec 06 Real Simple

Voted Best Designer 2006 Style Bakery
'On the Rise'
Awards

Daily Buss Feature

Luckymag.com Feature

in the blog press
midtown lunch
brownstoner
racked
coutorture
the girl who ate everything
coutorture
queens eats
(into) the fray
stylefinds
funky finds
style document
stylefinds
gowanus lounge
far too cute
modish
ethereal bliss
couture in the city
independent luxe
decor 8
funky finds
urban socialite
lady licorice
high fashion girl

more press...

inspiration
furniture (especially chairs from the 50s and 60s), uniforms, repeating patterns, menswear, Oscar Niemeyer, traditional Japanese architecture, the Rimpa School and Ogata Korin's 8-Point Bridge, Matisse, bromeliads, succulents and other waxy flora

particular loves
bamboo, coral, moss, woodgrain, silhouettes & other cut-outs, plastic, low-resolution images, the photo copier, off-registration prints, Max Ernst's Lunar Asparagus, NYC fire call boxes that look like Kannon, Fauvist color sense, the Noguchi Museum, pretty much all of Abstract Expressionism

magazines of current interest
Domino, Elle Decor (British), ARTnews, Art in America, Wallpaper

favorite heel style
the wedge, but a sleek modern interpretation

second favorite
the stiletto

current shoe obsession
alas, the sneaker. (because I live in nyc and walk a ton!) but not too sneakery of a sneaker. more of a sneaker disguised as a shoe, like a mary jane style or a high-tech looking black one with a metallic accent. how about Royal Elastics? I must go try some on. I really like the non-sneakeryness of their styles.

 

 

 


2.01.2008

marc jacobs wants his own reality tv show

[image from WireImage by way of New York Magazine]*


Marc Jacobs? The center of a reality TV show? Well I would watch it in a second.

I seem to have a never-ending interest in Marc Jacobs. I just read this article and heard myself saying, "I like Sponge Bob too! I have iced coffee in the afternoon!" Let me explain. I don't know what it is about fashion designers and celebrity chefs. When I see once in person, I get goofy. I point and urgently hit my husband's arm and point and point, "Look, it's Valentino!!!!!!" (at Phillips de Pury) "Look look look! Isaac Mizrahi! In the navy and white striped shirt, and the sweater!" (at BAM last week seeing Happy Days) "Look! Todd English!! Todd English!!!" (at one of his restaurants).

And then I monitor their every move giving a blow by blow commentary to my husband where he cannot possibly get a word in until we leave or they leave. On Valentino, "He's looking at the Gurskys. I wonder if he owns a Gursky. He's over by the strawberries and champagne. He is really tan. Is that a model he's with? Look at that suit! I wonder what his art collection is like... He is really really tan." On Mizrahi, "I wonder if he'll come back for the second act. Hey he's back for the second act. I'm impressed. Is he here alone? I wonder if he likes Beckett or if he came because Target sent him the tickets. I think he likes Beckett. He did come back for the second act." On English, "He's talking to the assistant chef. Wow he is tall in person. Where did he go? I wonder if he'll be back."

Well anyway, I'd watch a reality show about Marc Jacobs.



*For some reason, this image was not constrained by the usual pixel limit of 400px height. I don't know why. It looks like a Chuck Close, practically. By the way, I also saw Chuck Close once in a gallery in Chelsea and freaked out in excitement. I had cocktails near David Hockney, and for years following drank the Pimm's Cup which was no easy task because no bartender had ever heard of it. If it was Hockney's favorite, it was my favorite too. I spoke Japanese with Takashi Murakami and told everyone I met him when his Louis Vuitton bags came out years later, including some sales people at the Louis Vuitton store, who could have cared less. I stood right next to Roy Lichtenstein at his last exhibition at the MFA, Boston which was pretty darn incredible, especially since he died so soon after, never to paint anything more. So I guess you could include artists in the above list. Yes definitely.

Labels: , , ,

:::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home