i am a fashion designer. gee
     
click here to maximize your minimalism!

click here

click here

click here

click here to view my favorites from the archives. gee

 

 

 

are you a fonts enthusiast? a typophile?
read more

find the beauty on your daily walk! take time to notice the details of your landscape.
read more

there is nothing like seeing a great handbag in action.
read more

plastics are our future. how can you resist plastic? it is so shiny and pleasing. I have a penchant for plastics.
read more

chronicling my quest for the one true
Greek Cup
read more

have you ever noticed the similarity between nyc fire call boxes and benevolent Kannon, goddess of mercy?
read more

every design, fashion and art magazine I read lately features some important directional artist making big contributions to their genre. and where do they live? brooklyn!
read more

who says there are no more 'new ideas' in art and design? the newness is in the juxtaposition.
read more

this is how I really get things done. with my little green co-worker/task-master.
read more

my clothing & accessories design
east-meets-west minimalism

my site
elaineperlov.com

the look
dressy utilitarian

my concept
useful, economical, modular pieces that can be mix-matched in numerous ways (because why can't fashion be useful and lasting? I think it can!) So I say Maximize your Minimalism!

Satin Karate Belt featured in Dec 06 Real Simple

Voted Best Designer 2006 Style Bakery
'On the Rise'
Awards

Daily Buss Feature

Luckymag.com Feature

in the blog press
midtown lunch
brownstoner
racked
coutorture
the girl who ate everything
coutorture
queens eats
(into) the fray
stylefinds
funky finds
style document
stylefinds
gowanus lounge
far too cute
modish
ethereal bliss
couture in the city
independent luxe
decor 8
funky finds
urban socialite
lady licorice
high fashion girl

more press...

inspiration
furniture (especially chairs from the 50s and 60s), uniforms, repeating patterns, menswear, Oscar Niemeyer, traditional Japanese architecture, the Rimpa School and Ogata Korin's 8-Point Bridge, Matisse, bromeliads, succulents and other waxy flora

particular loves
bamboo, coral, moss, woodgrain, silhouettes & other cut-outs, plastic, low-resolution images, the photo copier, off-registration prints, Max Ernst's Lunar Asparagus, NYC fire call boxes that look like Kannon, Fauvist color sense, the Noguchi Museum, pretty much all of Abstract Expressionism

magazines of current interest
Domino, Elle Decor (British), ARTnews, Art in America, Wallpaper

favorite heel style
the wedge, but a sleek modern interpretation

second favorite
the stiletto

current shoe obsession
alas, the sneaker. (because I live in nyc and walk a ton!) but not too sneakery of a sneaker. more of a sneaker disguised as a shoe, like a mary jane style or a high-tech looking black one with a metallic accent. how about Royal Elastics? I must go try some on. I really like the non-sneakeryness of their styles.

 

 

 


11.12.2009

my quest for the golden paddle



I was cordially invited to play in the Alloy Digital 2009 Ping Pong Classic at SPiN New York last night, and oh what a time it was! I ate a lot of flavored popcorn and improved aspects of my game by taking two giant steps back from the table (so that's why my returns kept flying all over the place!) and definitely improved my slice. I think I probably maybe even could advance to the second round next year. I lost 21-19 to Arthur, a ringer brought in from the outside. So close!!!! And I was down 18-9. But he was a gentleman and a great opponent. Very much fun was had by me. I think I should try out my snazzy new SPiN moves at Bryant Park tomorrow.

SPiN New York is a membership-based subterranean ping pong club on 23rd Street and Park Avenue, complete with full bar and full menu of sandwiches, burgers, popcorn, salads, ice cream sandwiches and ice pops, because really, what more victuals do you need when you're working up a sweat at the tables?

I didn't win the golden paddle, but I did come away with logo sweatbands commemorating the event, a matching Bjorn Borg-style headband, and a foam finger!! I am (unironically) truly excited about the foam finger. Do you know how much fun it is to walk through the subway waving your giant yellow foam finger, cheering yourself on while people can't help but stare? I think I want to wear my foam finger all the time. Especially while commuting.

And another high point: I met Judah Friedlander!!!!! I'm not going to describe him as 30 Rock's Judah Friedlander, because he's been in other things too. Like American Splendor. Here's how it went down. Me: "I'm sorry to say that we're going to have to bump you... We're playing the first round of a tournament on this table... And yes, I did just take photos of you, and yes I am going to blog about you. Sorry to be so goofy, but my husband and I are big fans of yours." And he was so nice. We got into a conversation. We chatted. It was pretty darn awesome. Ping pong people are good people.



The set-up at SPiN is pretty sweet.
A bucket of balls at every table with ball boys all around.


You never had to chase a ball! So this is how the other half lives.


Parmesan, parseley and Maldon salt popcorn in between points.


This match was a great one! I should have taken a video instead.


Foam fingers!


The Finals match was a fight to the finish. Amazingly long points.
Crazy fast returns.


Judah Friedlander!!


Judah Friedlander!!!

Labels: ,

:::

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who was that cool looking guy in the finals? The one with the gray hair...is he someone famous? What a presence!!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Jiya said...

Nice Blog keep it up and best of luck for your future

Trend

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home